Monday, January 30, 2012

George L. Cook III - The Dead War Series: Book 1

It is our pleasure to have George L. Cook III, author of The Dead War Series: Book 1, with us today.


George is 43 years old and currently lives in Hillside, New Jersey.

When did you first start writing?
When I was 11 years old.

What was your very first story about?
I starting writing right after my first time seeing Star Wars so it was a Star Wars ripoff. Right down to the bad guy wearing a helmet and all.

Have you written anything that you were too afraid to let anyone read?
Oh of course. I have written many poetry books and as a matter of fact my latest book is my first fiction release. I have been very nervous about entering the science fiction genre so I have many stories and books written that I may never release.

Did you experience anything you’ve written yourself?
There are some experiences in my current book especially with the main characters nickname that come from my personal experiences. The military sequences also fall back on my time in the US Army / NJ National Guard.

In my poetry books I have not written about anything that I have not personally experienced.

Who are several of your greatest literary inspirations?
That's a good question. To be honest until you I don't know if I have any. I love books by many authors and poets. Especially those by independent and self published authors. I just like to write and could not honestly say I have a favorite author.

What kind of education have you received, and how has that affected your writing?
I went to college and then went in the army. Those life experiences have definitely influenced my writing. I think before that my writing came from a very narrow point of view. I think that my time in college and in the army gave me the ability to look at things from many different angles and views which is something I try to do in my stories.

How much research time customarily goes into your projects?
Depending on the topic, a lot. Since my book is science fiction I try to stay within the realm of possibility. You just can't go writing something that may not be possible. I study a lot on military advances in weapons, tactics, and equipment. I also read up a lot on technology advances. I think I owe it to the reader to know what I am writing about.

Tell us about your featured book.
In the year 2053 the dead walked. Mankind was caught off guard at first but within six years mounted a massive military assault on the dead.

These are the stories of some of those men and women that fought back. These are the stories of some trying to find a “cure”. These are the stories of those that are just trying to survive the nightmare of the walking dead. These are the stories of those that caused The Dead War.

This book contains the first chapter of The Dead War Series which features the hero of the series, Sergeant Richards . It also contains three short stories that explain certain elements of The Dead War World.

Why did you write that?
I always wanted to write a military science fiction book. I chose to make the dead the antagonist as to avoid the usual bad guy stereotypes. Islamic terrorist, The Chinese, and the like.

Is there anything special you would like your potential readers to know?
I think those that love action and horror this is a great read. But beyond that the question of what would you the reader do in certain situations to survive. i want the reader to ask themselves that question and I know there are two situations where I hope the reader will stop and think about what they would have done.

Where is the one place you’ve traveled where you’ve felt most like you fit in?
Henderson, North Carolina. Nice and quiet.

What activity or hobby, besides writing, do you find most enjoyable?
I am into politics as an elected school board member which I find very fulfilling. I love football and basketball and have coached both and would love to get back to coaching one day.

What was your favorite childhood toy?
GI Joe with the kung fu grip.

What is your most valued personal possession in life? Who gave it to you?
My family. God.

If you lost the ability to see every color but one, which one would it be?
Blue.

How do you treat people you’re not fond of?
Professionally. If I don't need to deal with them I don't.

What is hiding in your closet as we speak?
I'm a wrestling fan.

What do you see as your greatest achievement?
Other than my family it would definitely be serving on my local board of education.

What, to you, is absolutely wrong?
That anyone in the United States go hungry.

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
To always cut out the middle man whenever possible and deal with others personally.

If you had to explain the concept of “love” to someone who’s never heard of it before, how would you?
I would say that love is being willing to sacrifice everything for another without expecting anything in return.

What about “hate?”
Hate is the absence of love for others and for ones self

You’ve decided to buy an exotic pet, what do you go for?
A Grizzly Bear. It would come in real handy at board of education meetings.

What do you classify as an “Adventure?”
My time in the army and doing anything new for the first time. (that's not painful.)

If you could learn one new thing instantly, what would it be?
To sing.

Finish this sentence. “I sometimes find it hard to…”
Be patient. I have a very hard time waiting for things to come to fruition. Many times I find the process of getting things done excruciating.

Who is your most favorite literary character?
Conan, the barbarian not the talk show host.

Who is your favorite character of your own creation?
Sergeant Richards, the hero of The Dead War Series. He is a compilation of other characters I have written in older stories.

If you were ever to write an autobiography, what would its title be?
Stay Still.

What if it was a biography of your favorite person?
"You ain't cute. The answer is still no!" That would be to my daughter.

Name three things about that person that influenced or inspired you.
Her belief in the good in people.

She is truly color blind and treats everyone equally.

I want her to be proud of her daddy.


Our very special thanks to George for answering our questions. Check out his work today, because procrastination leads to sticky situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment