Monday, February 6, 2012

KT Hall - Family History, Part 1

It is our pleasure to have KT Hall with us, promoting her book Family History Part 1.

How old are you?
6.3662π

Where do you currently live?
Laramie, Wyoming, USA.

Tell us a little bit about your life.
I’m an avid Redditor, aspiring psychiatrist, and lover of chocolate milk. I’ve wanted to be a writer for just about as long as I can remember. 

When did you first start writing?
When I was six, I wrote a Tom-and-Jerry, Cat-and-mouse type story. I don’t remember the circumstances, but it ended up winning some kind of award. Positive reinforcement proceeded to tell my brain that being rewarded was awesome and that I should keep writing.

Have you written anything that you were too afraid to let anyone read?
I once wrote a poem about how stupid North Dakota was after my then-boyfriend moved there. It might still be on my flash drive.

Did you experience anything you’ve written yourself?
“The Dowry” was actually loosely inspired by a series of events, the basis of which being girl likes boy, but girl also likes this other boy.

Who are several of your greatest literary inspirations?
“Family History” was me trying to do something as spectacular as Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude.” It’s basically my favorite book of all time.

What kind of education have you received, and how has that affected your writing?
I’m currently working towards a physiology degree, which so far, has had no effect on my writing.

Tell us about your featured book.
“Family History: Part 1” and “Part 2” is about Collie Barrett and her descendants, and how they cope with an age-old curse that is passed through the family line. When Collie begins documenting her experiences in an old journal, the journal finds itself passed along from family member to family member, some of whom reject and attempt to cover up the book and the old family history.

Why did you write that?
“Family History” was actually somewhat of a hodge-podge between “The Dowry” and “Welcome to Northgate”. “Welcome to Northgate” was a project I had started and never finished, simply because I was too attached to my characters from “The Dowry”.

Is there anything special you would like your potential readers to know?
For the few people who chose to download “Part 2” for free, you do not necessarily need to read “Part 1”. However, the ending makes a little more sense if you do.

What activity or hobby, besides writing, do you find most enjoyable?
I love the outdoors, and I love taking pictures of the outdoors. Lately, I’ve especially gotten into blogging as well.

What was your favorite childhood toy?
I had a plethora of stuffed animals from Sesame street, and I used to play with them for hours, especially my Elmo doll.

If you lost the ability to see every color but one, which one would it be?
My favorite colors are blue and purple. The human eye has a more difficult time of seeing the color purple, though, so the answer would probably would have to be blue. The cool part would be that I could still see the sky.

How do you treat people you’re not fond of?
I probably just don’t talk to them. Though the other day, I found myself saying mean, horrible, nasty things about an ex-boss of mine – I told my boyfriend that she deserved to be unemployed. For the record, she did sexually harass a guy nearly a decade younger than her.

What is hiding in your closet as we speak?
I live in a tiny apartment with a tiny closet, so at the moment, nothing is really “hiding”. I just have a lot of clothes.

What do you see as your greatest achievement?
I got an A in Organic Chemistry last semester. That was pretty sweet.

What, to you, is absolutely wrong?
2 + 2 = 3


You’ve decided to buy an exotic pet, what do you go for?
A monkey, so I could teach it sign language. Actually, we would learn together.

If you could learn one new thing instantly, what would it be?
Probably how to speak Spanish, just because it’s practical and I will probably never attempt to learn it otherwise.

Finish this sentence. “I sometimes find it hard to…”
...not purchase fancy, overpriced restaurant food.

Who is your most favorite literary character?
Jenny Fields from The World According to Garp. She’s an accidental feminist whose first line of her book is “In this dirty-minded world, you’re either somebody’s wife or somebody’s whore, or fast on your way to becoming one or the other.”

Who is your favorite character of your own creation?
Right now, probably Richard Broozer of my current project, “The Night Life.” He’s a fragile soul who’s homosexual and terrified to admit it to anybody. He has no close friends, is a bit anti-social, and it’s pretty much a miracle that he hasn’t actually attempted to kill himself. He runs his father’s business and desperately seeks to please him, even though deep down, he hates every fiber of his father’s being. He “dates” a girl with no memory of her past because he can simply tell her that they’ve been together for a year and she willingly follows him.

If you were ever to write an autobiography, what would its title be?
I was actually thinking of writing an autobiography-type work entitled “Tales from the Vending Machine: An Autobiography Written in Creative Works.” Basically, I would just go and track down old pieces of my writing, put them in the book, and explain what the hell I was thinking when it was being written. However, I feel as though it would end up coming off as extremely vapid and awful, so I may not do it. Other than that, though, I feel as though my life is too short to really pick an appropriate title for an autobiography.

What if it was a biography of your favorite person?
Right now, my boyfriend is my favorite person. If I had to title his autobiography? Maybe “Escaped From Redneckism.”

To be or not to be?
…that is the question.



Thanks again to KT Hall for participating. Give her work a look, then reward yourself with delicious cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment