Thursday, February 16, 2012

Marie Symeou - Frozen in Time


We are pleased to have Marie Symeou with us, promoting her book Frozen in Time.



Where do you currently live?
I currently live in North London, England. Well, I've always lived here, but hope to one day escape to the country. 

Tell us a little bit about your life.
I was born in London. I am a writer and singer, an avid reader, a lover of history and nature. I love animals (especially cats).and am passionate about music. I'm also in a band with with my brother called Violet Eternity.

When did you first start writing?
I've always loved writing. At school I enjoyed Creative Writing classes and English was my favorite subject. When I was in my teens I began writing poetry and song lyrics.I began writing short stories and novels around 15 years ago.

What was your very first story about?
Probably some fairy tale story when I was a little girl. Can't remember really.

Have you written anything that you were too afraid to let anyone read?
Some of my earlier attempts at short stories and novels, and lots of angsty poems I wrote when I was younger. 

Did you experience anything you’ve written yourself?
A few things. In my novel Age of Dreams I've been through some of the experiences my protagonist Nicola James has been through. Though I'd rather not say what, mainly because of spoilers.

Who are several of your greatest literary inspirations?
Mary Shelley, Anne Rice, Charles Dickens, The Brontes, The Romantic Poets, Philippa Gregory. Sylvia Plath.

What kind of education have you received, and how has that affected your writing?
I have a degree in Humanities with Literature and yes, I think it's helped quite a lot with my writing. Not just in the writing and creating part, but I've gained so much knowledge of many other subjects which interest me, such as art history, philosophy, poetry, etc. 

How much research time customarily goes into your projects?
Quite a lot. I write Historical Fantasy, so I want to get my historical facts right. But I do tend to get so caught up in researching that my novels take longer to write as a result.

Who is your favorite literary character?
I've never really thought of it before, but I'll go for Dracula, Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, Louis and Lestat in Interview With The Vampire, and the creature in Frankenstein. Funny how they're all men. I can't think of a woman character. Oh, I'll choose Scarlett O Hara for being so headstrong and not caring about what others think of her.

Who is your favorite character of your own creation?
Philip, my ancient Greek vampire in Frozen In Time and Rhiannon the cat (also from that novel). Also Eleanor, a new vampire, who appears in my next novel.

If you were ever to write an autobiography, what would its title be?
Life, Love and Cats.

Tell us about your featured book.
Frozen In Time is the first book in the Blood of the Gods Series about Philip, an ancient Greek vampire. I am currently writing Book 2, and there are parts of  Book 3 already written. The series will take the reader through different time periods as we follow the adventures of Philip while he searches for the reincarnated soul of the wife he lost in childbirth before he was made vampire, whilst battling to save the world from his evil maker. Along the way he meets other souls, both mortal and immortal, and from both this world and otherworlds, who will need his help. I plan to use different points of view in the next two books, rather than just concentrate on Philip, though.

Why did you write that?
Because I had to write it, It's a novel that I've been building up in my head for years and it needed to be told. Also, I like vampires and I like ancient Greece, mythology and history so it's a great way of creating something out of those subjects.One of the best things about being a writer is the ability to create your own worlds and people it with characters of your own creations. 

Is there anything special you would like your potential readers to know?
I hope they enjoy my novel and look forward to the next one.

Where is the one place you’ve traveled where you’ve felt most like you fit in?
Sweden. I love the natural landscape. It's so stunning and calming to the soul. 

What activity or hobby, besides writing, do you find most enjoyable?
As I've said before, I'm a singer and I just love singing. It's another form of expression for me, a way to release the demons and to free my soul for a bit. I also love reading. I'm always reading. I can't help it. 

How do you treat people you’re not fond of?
Distance myself from them if I can.

What do you see as your greatest achievement?
Getting my degree and publishing my novels.

What, to you, is absolutely wrong?
Too many things in this world are wrong. Though the one that gets me down the most is animal cruelty. There are so many sick people out there who seem to get a kick out of doing the most appalling things to animals, and what's worse is that they post videos of what they do online. It's horrible. I don't know why such barbaric behaviour is allowed. Surely they deserve to be caught and punished severely?

If you had to explain the concept of “love” to someone who had never heard of it before, how would you?
Love is a soul to soul connection. You can't really explain it.

What about “hate?”
A wasted emotion, or perhaps memories of a past life.

Finish this sentence. “I sometimes find it hard to..."
...relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment